- Feb. 14, 2019 NSSMC Receives Shell’s Supplier Award
- Jul. 30, 2018 Execution of Strategic Partnership with BP Oman
- Jul. 30, 2018 "The beauty of distinctive gradations make people feel nature" was posted.
- Jul. 26, 2018 VAM® 21 HT CLEANWELL® DRY ST First Running
- Jul. 19, 2018 Steel Wires Joint Venture Company for Cold Heading and Forging in USA (NSCI) holds an Opening Ceremony
- Jun. 27, 2018 NSSMC and Standard Steel Receive TTX “Excellent Supplier 2017” Award
- May. 29, 2018 NSSMC Named a Top 100 Global Innovator in 2017 for Sixth Consecutive Year
- Apr. 25, 2018 Steel Wires Joint Venture Company for Cold Heading and Forging in USA (NSCI) Starts Commercial Production
- Apr. 17, 2018 Strengthening Supply System for Ultra-high-tensile Steel Sheets New CGL to be installed at Kimitsu Works
- Feb. 27, 2018 Nippon Steel & Sumikin Crankshaft, NSSMC’s manufacturing and sales subsidiary of crankshafts in the U.S., earns Diamond Supplier Award from Navistar
- Aug. 04, 2017 NSSMC’s proprietary titanium product TranTixxii™ is adopted for cladding of a theater in Jiangsu Province, China
Shape-memory alloys are metals that, even if they become deformed at below a given temperature, they will return to their original shape before deformation simply by being heated. Alloys with this unusual characteristic are used as functional materials in temperature sensors, actuators, and clamping fixtures.
These metals also have a quality called superelasticity; like rubber, when it is bent or stretched, it will return to its original shape when the deforming force is removed. This characteristic of recovering shape despite substantial deformation is exploited in applications in products for daily life, in electrical and electronic appliances, and in the medical field.
There currently are several dozen types of alloys with such shape-memory properties and superelasticity, but Ni-Ti alloys have the best shape-recovery performance, durability, and corrosion-resistance.
Born of our wealth of titanium and titanium alloy melting and fabrication technology, KTS-SM alloy is one of the most reliable of the Ni-Ti alloys of this type of shape-memory and superelastic alloys.
Shape-memory alloys and superelastic alloys
The shape-memory effect and superelasticity are the result of thermo-elastic martensitic transformation, in which the shape-memory effect is expressed as phase transformation and reverse transformation from the parent phase (austenite) to and from the martensite phase. Superelasticity is expressed as stress-induced transformation from the parent phase to a martensite phase due to load stress in the parent phase state, and then as reverse transformation when unloaded.
Typical behaviors are explained below using a stress-strain curve:
- Normally, metallic materials have a proportional relationship to deformation stress within the elastic range, but begin to yield when further deformed beyond the elastic range. After entering the yielding range, permanent deformation remains even after the strain is removed.
- Even with the shape-memory effect, when the martensite phase is deformed in a low temperature phase, the deformation apparently remains beyond the yielding range even when unloaded, just as in normal metals. However, when heated above the transformation temperature, the strain is nullified and the shape returns to the original state, returning the alloy to the parent phase state.
- In superelasticity as well, yielding occurs just as with normal metals, but when the load is removed, the material returns to its original shape in a phenomenon that is the reverse or that occurring under load. NiTi superelastic alloys will return to their original shape even when deformed under a nominal strain of around 8%.
Basic characteristics of KSM-SM alloy
|Specific heat||0.3 [kJ / (kg・K)]|
|Electric resistance||0.5～1.1 [10-6Ω・m]|
|Thermal Conductance||21 [W / (m・K )]|
|Linear expansion coefficient||10 [10-6 / K]|
|Modulus of transverse elasticity||Martensite phase||5～10 [GPa]|
|Austenite phase||15～25 [GPa]|
|Young's modulus||Martensite phase||15～30 [GPa]|
|Austenite phase||50～70 [GPa]|
|Hardness||Martensite phase||180～300 [Hv]|
|Austenite phase||300～400 [Hv]|
|Rupture stress||Martensite phase||700～1000 [MPa]|
|Austenite phase||1200～1500 [MPa]|
|Elongation||Martensite phase||～30 [%]|
We have prepared a line of KTS-SM alloys according to their shape-memory and superelasticity characteristics.
|Effect||Metal alloys||Transformation temperature
|Shape Memory Effect||NiTi
(Long life cycle)
|−||6～8||−||−||Various spring elements|
Features of KSM-SM alloy
Substantial shape-memory, recoverable strain
Substantial shape-memory and recoverable strain.
Superb corrosion resistance
These alloys have superb corrosion resistance and wear resistance that is nearly equivalent to those of titanium and titanium alloys. They also have vastly superior wear resistance to wear-resistant materials such as titanium and nickel alloys.
Quality assurance through our integrated manufacturing system
We aspire to a total quality control system through an integrated manufacturing system from melting the parent material to the final treated shape-memory product.
High-precision device design
We can use our accumulated database to consult with customers to meet their needs from device design through prototyping.
We can provide a variety of diverse shapes, including round wire, square wire, ultrafine wire (from φ0.02mm), ribbon, coil springs, and 3D shapes.
KSM-SM alloy fields of application
|Shape-memory alloys||Superelastic alloys|
|Consumer electronics||Coffee makers||Mobile phone antennas|
|Industrial machinery||Pipe seams, fire dampers|
|Household equipment||Mixing water faucets, gas water heaters, water regulator valves,
subfloor vents, hot water shutoff valves for water purifiers
|Transport machinery and equipment||Evaporative emission control systems|
|Personal accessories||Brassiere underwires, eyeglass frames,
shoulder pad wires, petticoats, accessories
|Medical equipment||Dental implants||Orthodontic braces wire, Guide wires|
|Hobbies||Toys||Spinner lures, fishing through-wire|
For further product information
Product Quotes, and inquiries without complete information required in inquiry form may not be responded to. Selection of inquiries for reply online is at the sole discretion of Nippon Steel. We appreciate your understanding.