Basic Environmental Policy
Basic Environmental Policy (Established in October 2012)
Under the principle of “Ecological Management,” Nippon Steel is committed to contributing to the creation of an environmental-preservation oriented society with lower environmental impact. For this purpose, the company will conduct business activities based on the viewpoint of environmental preservation in local communities, which includes the maintenance and improvement of good living environments and the promotion of reduction and recycling of waste. The company will also address challenges on a global scale including response to issues of global warming as well as the maintenance and improvement of biological diversity.
1. Reducing environmental impacts at every stage of operations (eco process)
At every stage of business activities including production processes and transportation of products, Nippon Steel will, besides complying with environmental laws and regulations, promote activities to reduce environmental impacts primarily through voluntary efforts, in cooperation with customers and other industries, with the aim of further improving environmental preservation and the efficiency of resources and energy, and of promoting reduction and recycling of waste inside and outside the company.
2. Offering of environment-oriented products (eco products)
With the aim of reducing environmental impacts at every stage of the life cycle of our products offered to domestic and overseas markets, Nippon Steel will make efforts, making good use of its innovative technologies, to develop and offer products that contribute to environmental preservation, resource conservation and energy conservation.
3. Proposing environmental preservation solutions from a global perspective (eco solution)
Nippon Steel will further improve its long-accumulated technologies and environmental management system that are related to environmental preservation, resource conservation, and energy conservation technologies. We offer them in Japan and abroad to contribute to, in addition to the reduction of environmental impacts, the development of infrastructure for disaster prevention with due consideration given to nature and scenery as well as to solving environmental issues outside Japan through technology transfer.
4. Development of innovative technologies
We will address on a medium and long-term basis the development of innovative technologies focused on the future issues of resources and the environment with the aim of providing society with technologies and products that contribute to environmental preservation, resource conservation and energy conservation.
5. Development of a rich environment
As a member of local communities where Nippon Steel is located, we will contribute to the conservation of the natural environment by supporting hometown forest creation through the promotion and maintenance of tree planting as well as the creation of marine forests through the restoration of seaweed beds.
6. Promotion of environmental relations activities
The company will make efforts to improve and enhance environmental education for employees, disclose environmental information on an adequate and timely basis to remain always trusted and highly appreciated by society, and to actively promote relation activities contributing to environmental management through close exchange with stakeholders.
2020 Mid-Term Environmental Management Plan
Under the Basic Environmental Policy, we have developed a mid-term environmental management plan for three years from fiscal 2018 to fiscal 2020 and are tackling many environmental challenges accordingly.
Environmental management system
- Enhance the environmental administrative system (i.e., environmental audits, plant audits)
- Conduct environmental management in coordination with group companies
- Promote standardization in manufacturing
- Promote environmental education for employees (i.e., improved environmental education tools)
Measures against climate change problems
- Promote the Initiatives for Achieving a Low Carbon Society
- Promote next-generation technology development
- Promote international alliances based on the policies and activities of the Japan Iron and Steel Federation
- Consider to set up long-term targets
Creation of a recycling-based society
- Expand effective use of in-house generated resources; promote zero emission
- Promote recycling of outside waste (waste plastics and waste tires)
Environmental risk management
- Promote companywide discussion on environmental risk issues
- Respond to new environmental regulations
Environmental relationship activities
- Communicate actively with stakeholders on environmental issues
- Appropriate, timely disclosure of environmental information, so as to be continually trusted by society
- Secure bio-diversity and work for harmony with nature
- Provide opportunities to study the environment to people outside the company (i.e., sending lecturers)